Morning Papers is a writing exercise where you fill three pages of random, free-flow stream of conscious thought. It is preferable to write long hand if possible.
- It is very cathartic. Writing a stream of conscious thought without editing brings out feelings I didn't know I had. It helps to empty my mind of the unnecessaries.
- Consistent writing improves my discipline.
- My handwriting has improved.
- It helps me clarify my goals, what really needs to happen today.
My favorite place is my
Find a place that is comfortable and peaceful or at least away from distraction.
Find the best time of day that works for you. I prefer to sit on my front porch early in the morning because this practice sets the tone for the rest of my day. Unfortunately, I have to wait until lunchtime because of my work schedule. Oh bother.
- Keep a notebook handy in a convenient spot with your favorite writing utensil. The notebook doesn't need to be anything fancy. Chances are it will get thrown away. I'm going to save mine because my random thoughts are better than no thoughts.
- Relax. Let your arms and shoulders droop. Take a big breath in and exhale.
- Write whatever comes to your mind, no matter how frivolous.
- DO NOT EDIT! Refrain from that nagging need to review and correct every word.
- Fill 3 pages OR set your timer for 20 minutes.
You may have already started this habit. Consistency brings rewards so Yay for you if you are consistent.